About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

My First Graduate

Yesterday I had the privilege of officially finishing the second study book with a student. Her name is Grecia and I "inherited" the study when she and her two boys moved from the jungle to Cuenca. It was a bittersweet closure. On one hand I will miss my weekly visits, but on the other hand it has been a complete joy and blessing to see this shy, troubled woman transform into a happy servant of Jehovah.

When I first began visiting Grecia she was so shy that she wouldn't even look up from her book. To get her to express herself was like trying to pull teeth. Some of the shyness and quiet manner could be attributed to the fact that she had difficulty in understanding my foreign accent. We both had our hurdles to overcome and I certainly needed to learn patience. I would go home after the study frustrated and discouraged thinking that nothing was seeping in. However, little by little she began to open up. She got used to my accent and way of butchering the Spanish language and I learned how to draw her out. Both attributable to Jehovah's mercy and holy spirit.

Today, you can hardly recognize Grecia. She is a dedicated servant of Jehovah, happy and I am confident will have Jehovah's continued blessings. AH! Graduation Day!

1 comment:

  1. I rejoice with you. There can be no greater joy than teaching somone the truth and especially when the student is a challenging one. It makes you a better teacher and we have to give Jehovah the praise for giving us this marvelous privilege.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.