About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Morning With Luz

Let me tell you all about Luz. She is a 68 year old widow. Only one son that lives in the States. Took care of her mother until she died 3 months ago. Walks with a cane because she needs a hip replacement.

Luz started studying the bible about 11 months ago. But, because of taking care of an invalid mother, she wasn't progressing rapidly. That all changed when her mother died. It was very sad because Luz felt not only the loss, but also felt alone. The death of her mother made her appreciate the resurrection hope and she decided she needed to make progress, rely on Jehovah and become an unbaptized publisher which she did.

She had been in the ministry a total of 4 times. This morning was the fifth time and it was my turn to work with her. Let me explain that working in the ministry here is nothing like doing city territory in the States. You very often are in the country walking on dirt roads or paths and on very uneven surfaces many times without a car. Luz didn't let that stop her. With cane in hand, and arm in arm with me, she was determined to preach this morning. It was slow going, but what a joy. We had such a wonderful time together. She is still nervous so the first thing she tells me is that I will have to do all the talking. Okay, I said...no problem. But, just like Jeremiah, Luz couldn't keep quiet. Once I started the introduction, she jumped in and started preaching. It was so much fun to watch. We spent the morning laughing, talking and enjoying every moment together. She thanked me for being her partner, but I must say, I think I got the better end of the deal this time and I came home happy, encouraged and anxious to share the experience with you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.