After five years of not visiting the family, I was getting so homesick and wanting a trip back to the States. I am having the time of my life and the best visit ever with Aimee. However, I have been pondering some things that I have come to love about Ecuador and now miss very much. Here is a list.
1. No matter where you are in the country, you see the brothers preaching: day and night.
2. When you walk into the Kingdom Hall, EVERYBODY greets you. It doesn't matter if it is a large or small congregation. They at least shake your hand or kiss your cheek. You feel welcomed even if you are a stranger. The rest of the world could learn a lesson from the Ecuadorian brothers.
3. The same with a party or get together. Everyone greets you AND says goodnight when you leave. Sniff.
4. The food prices. WOW, everything is expensive here.
5. Nothing is rushed. The lifestyle is much slower and relaxed.
6. I miss my afternoon siesta. I always complained that everything closes between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. and I couldn't get anything done. Now I sort of miss the quiet time.
7. The family lunch. Everyone goes home to eat the big meal at 1:00 p.m. with the family. It doesn't matter if you work, pioneer or go to school...you go home to eat (then the siesta is necessary.)
8. Walking. We walk everywhere, to work, to the grocery, in the ministry and to return visits. I used to complain, but now I sort of miss it. hmmm.
9. The parks. Every weekend families go to the park to play, rest, sleep and visit.
10. My bible students. I really miss their faces and watching their progress.
No, I'm not ready to go back yet. I'm still enjoying myself way too much. But, I did have a moment of reflection that I thought I would share.