About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Friday, January 16, 2015

The Chola Cuencana Dress

If you are in Cuenca you will certainly see the indigenous women walking around in their native costume. So I decided to tell you a bit about it.

The women are called Chola Cuencanas and they wear their outfits with dignity. The outfit consists of a skirt called a pollera, a lace blouse, shawl and is topped off with a Panama Hat and as you can see from the photo it is beautifully embroidered.


It takes approximately 9 yards of material to make the skirt and it is rather heavy. I swear I burn hundreds of calories every time I where mine. The blouse is made up of beautiful lace and sequins and the shawl is edged with crocheted lace.


They have outfits for everyday and special ones for special occasions. Additionally, gold earrings, necklaces and bracelets can be worn as accessories. One of these ornate outfits can cost from $700.00 to $1000.00 (not including the jewelry, just the costume) depending on the detail and fabric. I was fortunate that a very dear Ecuadorian friend made mine and give it to me as a gift. I am so proud to be the owner of this awesome piece of local history.

And here's the final look...of course I don't have the long, dark braids...but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.