About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Why Should I Learn the Language?

That is a good question, especially if you're not a studious person or you're up in age. However, anyone can learn enough of the language to get by and even form friendships.

Even if you do not have plans to socialize with the local population (personally, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to get to know these lovely people) learning the language is essential to being a well rounded individual, happy and contributing to the society where you live. If you live in a Spanish speaking country, frankly it is ridiculous to expect to hear English when banking, shopping, taking taxis or buses, paying utility bills, etc. You live in their country as a guest, so why do you feel entitled that they should speak your language? Make the effort to learn the basics so you can communicate and get things done.

A very helpful book to get you started is entitled "Madrigal's Magic Keys to Spanish A Creative and Proven Approach" by Margarita Madrigal. It is available on Kindle. The copy I have was first published in 1951, 1953 and 1989. To make things fun the illustrations are by Andy Warhol. Yes, it may seem to be a bit outdated, but the book actually gets you speaking, reading and writing right away and instantly builds an extensive vocabulary. I still refer to it from time to time to brush up on my Spanish skills even after living here for 17 years.

Another practical way to learn is start practicing with the locals. They appreciate the effort and will correct your errors, in a very polite and nice manner.

So start learning the language, don't be shy and enjoy your new life in this exciting country.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I like that book. I foolishly use to say I'll comment at the meeting when my Spanish improves but that's like learning to swim without getting in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...sometimes you have to jump in with both feet!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.