About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Kingdom Hall Renovation

Because of my work schedule and taking care of an ill Mark, I haven´t really had much of an opportunity to share in the remodel of our KH. However, Saturday was my first opportunity and I had the privilege to work in the "bodega." Loosely translated that is the store room where all the tools and equipment are housed and where everyone signs in and out. It was a blast. I was assigned to clean all the ladders. I must say, that when I was through with the task, those ladders shined as bright as the top of the Chrysler Building. Needless to say, I didn´t shine much by the end of the day, but it was great to be with the brothers, sisters and construction crew.

At lunch I met Juan Carlos of the construction crew and he is from Guayaquil and has quite a sense of humor. He is constantly laughing and smiling and is a very pleasant fellow. He assumed that I didn´t speak Spanish, me being a Gringa and such, and started to talk about the foreigners. I responded in Spanish and he started to laugh. Then he asked me what food I liked best in Ecuador. I started to name off all the weird stuff i.e. guinea pig, fish soup, I even said that I like guata (stomach). He said that I was truly an Ecuadorian because he had never met a gringo that would eat guata. I definitely had his approval. He noticed that I didn´t eat all the rice. They give you a mountain of it and sometimes you just can´t put it all away. He said "rice won´t make you fat......only if you eat it." For some reason everyone at the table thought that was funny.

It really was a nice time and I hope that I will be able to continue to help out on my days off and, of course, keep you guys updated on the progress.

6 comments:

  1. Becky,

    I really enjoy reading about what keep you and Mark busy, Please keep up the blog. Heard Matt give his first public talk, he has really come a long way. He's come a log way. Miss you guys. Hope to see you one day.

    Lori and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,

    I must say watching the brothers and sisters working together to build a new Kingdom Hall was delightful. I stumble across your sight while I was researching Ecuador as I am very seriously considering retiring there.

    Ken Rosenberger
    Edmonton Alberta Canada
    Email: KenLR98@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment. It's always nice to hear from our brothers in other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Rebecca! We are interested in possibly retiring to Ecuador and have read with interest your blog. We are currently members of the Kingdom Hall in Bowie, Texas, USA. Any information you could give us about living in Ecuador would be tremendously beneficial.
    In Jehovah's love,
    Ron and Brenda Stephens
    Bowie, Texas
    ron.stephens@wildblue.net
    bstephens@nctc.edu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, my husband and I are with the foley Alabama USA congregation. We would like to help out where there is a need for English speaking brothers and sisters. We can be there in cooler weather months. What are the summers like there? In your observation would we be able to help the congregation flourish there by working in the field? We are regular pioneers. Would appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. My husband and I are regular pioneers in an Alabama USA congregation. We are considering spending time in Quenca Ecuador. Can you give us your perspective on the need there in that area? Also, what the weather temps are in the months of June, July and August as well as humidity factors. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.