About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Carnival in Ecuador

Yeah! It's time for Carnival! NOT! I think this is the holiday I hate most in Ecuador. Every year the whole country shuts down for 3 or 4 days to celebrate Carnival. It' the last big blowout party before they have to give it all up for lent. But, the locals don't celebrate with parades and parties like they do in Brazil. No, they have to throw water on everyone. It doesn't matter who you are, what you're wearing, if it is cold or rainy, if you step outside, you will get blasted with water. It makes it impossible to get outdoors during this time. So, we just huddle up and wait it out. Even the meetings are cancelled because most of the brothers have to walk or take buses and they won't make it to meeting without getting soaked. UGH.

2 comments:

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.