About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fiestas de Cuenca

Oh how I wish I had my camera this weekend. Started out with the camera with hope of getting some really good pictures as this weekend are the Fiestas de Cuenca and what that means is that there are a lot of parties and artwork to check out. But woefully the camera ran out of batteries. So I'll try to describe some of the glory.

They close off the main streets and just allow foot traffic. As you walk there are rows after rows of artwork and artesanias. I can't believe how many talented people there are in this world. Artists that do water colors, oil paintings and drawings that are unbelievable. Then there are the textiles. Embroidery that is so beautiful. Hand made hats, scarves, sweaters, jewelry and wood carvings. If only I had a million dollars I would buy one of each. But, I settled for a couple of scarves (to cover the ugly scar on my neck) and a couple of jungle jewelry pieces made out of local seeds. They are beautiful and natural. I wish you guys could've been hear to see it. Then there is the food! Pork sandwiches that are out of this world and homemade candies, juices etc. It's like a mini State Fair of Texas but with a lot more interesting stuff that you would never see back home. The only setback is that the parties went on until about 3:00 a.m. this morning and we heard every bit of it from our bedroom. Needless to say we didn't get much sleep last night. I guess it's a good thing it only comes once a year.

1 comment:

  1. Of all the weekends for me to be sick!!!! I just can't believe I missed all the action!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.