About Me

My photo
In October, 1997, my husband Mark and I, decided to move to Ecuador. We settled in Cuenca, the third largest city. It is nestled in a valley surrounded by the Andes Mountain range. It has been an amazing aventure.

Friday, May 1, 2009

My First Week of Work

I finished my first week of work and I must say it was much less stressful than I anticipated. Mostly due to the fact that Sarah is still on board and showing me the ropes.

To give you an overview, I am working for Nelson Idrovo and Grace Velastegui, a husband and wife lawyer team. Their principal occupation is as immigration lawyers for foreigners that wish to live in Ecuador. They also dabble in real estate. It seems a great number of retirees are immigrating down south and Cuenca is a very good place to make that SS check go further. Since the majority of the clients are English speakers, my main duty is serving as translator between client and lawyer or notary and translating documents from Spanish into English and vice-versa. My background as a legal assistant is coming in handy after all these years. Who knew I would ever use those skills again especially in a foreign country? The work is very interesting and Nelson and Grace are extremely nice and easy going. They have made me feel very welcomed. I believe that this could actually be the easiest, most rewarding job I have ever had. And did I mention the schedule? 1/2 day Monday, all day Tuesday and Thursday. Perfect for a pioneer. And as salaries go in Ecuador, the pay is very good. So, we will be able to pay off some of that debt we accrued during my illness.

I'll let you know how it goes once Sarah is no longer around to hold my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy your comments and hope to hear from all of you even anonymous comments. However, I wish you would include your name to keep it friendlier.